Monday 20 September 2010

first week in ny; round up

A bit of a lapse in daily updates due to a combination of inconsistent internet connection in the apartment and long days at work.. Thought I'd try and write up a little summary of my first week to collect my first impressions, and a general overview of my experience so far;

As far as work is concerned it's been a great few days - some good variety in the tasks I've been assigned and a massive amount of freedom in pretty much everything I've been asked to approach, great agency with friendly people, great resources and an accommodating workspace. There's a few images in the post below of the building I'm in, and some of the work I've been doing.

New York in general is a pretty inspiring place, the contrasting environments I experience every day really enforce the sheer scale and diversity of the city. Today I was asked to run over to Ralph Lauren's Advertising department on Madison Avenue, the typical "where are you from?" that ensues from my directions is followed by a few of the drivers insights regarding city life - asking me if I agreed that it was an expensive place to live, he continued to tell me that he can speak 5 languages and has a job as a translator at the UN, but has to take a second job as a taxi driver to earn enough to stay afloat.

Food is a huge expense here, having been used to cooking up a daily meal during my university days, I wasn't shy about getting myself to the local supermarket to stock up on some food for the apartment, expecting to be greeted by enormous servings of fresh meat and veg at rock bottom prices, I was fairly surprised to see what can only be described as a 'cheap' food market charging big money for pretty basic stuff. There are in excess of 24,000 restaurants in New York and a lot of the time it is cheaper to let someone else do the cooking.

Anyway this is a quick type up on my lunch break so I'll hopefully extend it when I arrive back at the apartment tonight.