Monday 13 September 2010

long time no blog

I have decided to get my blog up and running again for a couple of reasons, one is to let my mother know I'm alive every couple of days, the other as an awfully cliche 'reflective space.'

A quick run down of my progress since graduation includes a month placement at London based agency Underdog, where I worked on a number of projects that really challenged me creatively, having a strong desire to work with all things 'print' (or at least static) I was really pushed into a new way of thinking; my understanding of web and motion graphic technology has increased ten fold thanks to this opportunity, I met some great people too. (I've written up my experience in full and will post it up as soon as I get the chance!)

I am now living and working in New York, at an agency named Exit - today is my first day, having prepared some visuals for a Ralph Lauren model casting , I am left with a bit of spare time to type up my experience so far, since I've not been here long, I'll skip back to my first impression of New York.

My work placement at Underdog finished only a few days ago, so heading to New York after a month full of 15 hour days (Swindon - London commutes) was not easy, however, the thought of the opportunity ahead of me was enough to keep a smile on my face. I arrived in New York at 2pm Saturday afternoon, after a stressful couple of hours wheeling my compacted life around, I strolled up to my new digs in the 25 degree heat.

Brooklyn, my new home, is vastly different to anywhere I have ever been. Culture shock would be a massive understatement. The apartment I'm staying in boasts a rooftop hot tub, swimming pool and gym however, and the commute into Manhattan takes roughly 40 minutes. I don't feel as if I've seen much of the city yet - but as I master the working regime I'm sure the window of opportunity will widen. I will post up some photos soon.